If you've been following along for a while, you probably know that my son is allergic to dairy. This makes it pretty difficult to find Easter candy in the UK that he can enjoy. I have not been able to find any eggs, bunnies, chicks or any other Easter-themed candy that is anything other than milk chocolate. Oh, wait. I did see some white chocolate eggs, but those are also full of dairy.
So, I have solved the problem by making my own dairy free chocolate candies for us to enjoy this Easter. They are made from dark chocolate, which is totally dairy free...and delicious!
Green & Blacks Organic Dark Chocolate Bars 70% (or equivalent)
Microwave Safe Dish for melting chocolate
Chocolate Bar Foil Wrapper (or foil)
1. Very carefully open the foil wrapper so that you can reuse it to wrap the chocolate candies.
2. Break chocolate bar into pieces and place in your microwave safe dish.
3. Melt chocolate in microwave, stirring at 20-second intervals to prevent burning.
4. Carefully spoon melted chocolate into silicone mold.
5. Place in freezer for 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Turn silicone mold upside-down and pop out chocolate candies. If the candies don't pop out easily, return to freezer for a few more minutes.
While your chocolates are freezing, cut foil wrapper into pieces that are large enough to completely cover all sides of the chocolate candies. If the wrapper isn't large enough to make pieces for all the chocolates, you can use kitchen foil. We always wash and save our foil because it is such an easy thing to reuse. So, I took some smaller pieces our and flattened them when I realized I didn't have enough G&B foil.
After the chocolate has hardened and you've popped it out, place it upside-down on a small piece of foil. Then bring all the corners and sides up and over and press them down.
If you press gently on the top of your chocolate egg, the design will show through the foil. You've now got a foil-wrapped chocolate candy!
We're stuffing ours into plastic eggs for an egg hunt we'll host on Friday.
I'm linking up to some of these fabulous parties.