Sunday 21 July 2013

Childhood Memories Found in a Box


Before coming to visit my family in California, my daughter had been very curious about the toys I played with as a child. So, I told her we would find some this summer. The first week here, we dug into the storage shed and pulled out all my plastic containers of stuff that is waiting for us to return to America. We did find some old toys, and some memories...like my Home Economics award from 8th grade! At the time, I remember feeling embarassed that I received the award...it was kind of nerdy, but so was I. Now, of course, I'm proud to say that I earned and 8th grade Home Ec Outstanding Student of the Year. ;-)


We found cross-stitched wall decorations that I had hanging in my room as a little girl. I don't remember who made this one...perhaps my mom or a friend of hers.


This is my first and only finished cross-stitch project, probably done when I was 8 or 9 and into gymnastics. No awards for gymnastics since I was too scared to do a back walk over, let alone attempt a flip!


My favorite discoveries were my old barbie dolls...and their creative wardrobes. Yes, this one is wearing an original, hand-sewn outfit. I remember clearly sitting in the living room with fabric, needle and thread, creating these stunning outfits for my precious barbies.


I remember playing with my barbie dolls for hours...they went skiing, they got married. Check out these great outfits that my mom crocheted for me back in the day. Who wouldn't love a bright pink ski suit? Although now it reminds me more of a footed onesie.


I thought my little girl was going to be super excited about my old barbies and she was until she discovered this little baby kewpie doll. My mom also crocheted this adorable ensemble. It's a baby sleep sack and cradle that turns into a bag to carry the baby around.


My daughter had the best time caring for her little baby. And, to be honest, I'd rather her still love her baby dolls for a few more years before she gets into barbies, so it was just perfect.



I'm linking up to some of these fabulous parties!

4 comments:

  1. It's always so nice to find boxes full of memories. -Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww lovely :)

    Thanks for sharing with us at Creative Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Barbie! The crochet doll clothes are cute! Thanks for sharing @ Submarine Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treasure in that box! Thanks for sharing with us this week at Monday Funday!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog. I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...