Friday 24 August 2012

Harvesting Lavender


I don't have much of a green thumb, but one thing I've managed to grow very easily is lavender.



I love it. The smell gently blows in through our window and is so relaxing.



This year I want to hold on to it  even when the flowers finish blooming, so I learned how to harvest and dry lavender. Here is what I learned...


First, make sure you do it on a dry day in the morning. It was a great way for me to get outside earlier than I normally do. I felt so healthy! The kids played and I was able to keep an eye on them while I go to work. It was a little frightening at times because we have a LOT of bees that love the lavender as much as me. I put on a brave face and reminded myself of all the beekeepers that handle bees on a regular basis and then I began to cut. The stems I cut were about 6 to 8 inches long.


As I cut, I would bundle 20 stems and hold them together with a rubber band. When I ran out of rubber bands, I took my crop inside to do the rest. By then, my kids were ready for lunch so inside was a good place to be.



After getting the kids settled with their food, I unfolded enough paper clips and slid them through the rubber bands. You could also use ribbon, string or another type of clip.


My bundles were then ready to hang. They could be hung from a hanger, nails, hooks, etc. I hung them from our drying rack...



I made sure to space them apart enough so that the air could circulate.



Then I put them in a dry, dark place. Our only dry, dark place was the drying closet... 


I'll peek in on them occasionally so I know when they're dry...and to get a good whiff of the soothing scent.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to grow some lavender next year. We already have a little herb garden going so this will be the perfect addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that I'm following you! I love lavender but was a little scared to try growing it myself. And harvesting...yeah, no clue. This is great. What kind of seeds did you buy?

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following my blog! Our lavender has basically grown itself...I'm not very good at gardening and am so thankful that it has survived. We started with about four or five small lavender plants and they have grown so much over the last few years. I'm always scared to start anything from seed. By the way, I stopped by your blog and loved your foot scrub post. :-)

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog. I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...